Getting a broken key out of a lock can be a frustrating experience, especially if you’re in a hurry or need to use your car. A broken car key can be a result of wear and tear or an accidental break, but either way, it can be a problem that needs to be resolved quickly. In this article, we’ll share some tips and tricks on how to remove a broken car key from a lock, how to avoid car lockouts, and answer some common broken car key copying questions.
Check out this video.
How to Remove a Broken Car Key from a Lock?
If you’re dealing with a broken car key that’s stuck in a lock, here are some steps that you can take to remove it:
- Use lubricants: Apply a lubricant such as WD-40 or graphite powder to the lock. This will help loosen the key and make it easier to remove.
- Use tweezers: If the broken part of the key is sticking out, you can try to use tweezers to grab it and pull it out. Be gentle and take your time.
- Use pliers: If the key is broken off inside the lock, you can try to use pliers to grip the key and pull it out. Again, be gentle and take your time.
- Use a key extractor tool: If the above methods don’t work, you can try using a key extractor tool. These tools are designed to grip the key and pull it out of the lock. You can purchase a key extractor tool at most hardware stores.
- Call an automotive locksmith: If all else fails, you can always call an automotive locksmith. They have the experience and tools necessary to remove a broken key from a lock.
Broken Car Key Copying Questions
If you’ve broken your car key and need a replacement, you may have some questions about the process. Here are some common broken car key copying questions and their answers:
Can a broken car key be copied?
Yes, a broken car key can be copied. A locksmith or key maker can create a copy of the broken key by using the pieces that are still intact.
How much does it cost to copy a broken car key?
The cost of copying a broken car key will vary depending on the type of key and the complexity of the lock. On average, you can expect to pay between $50 and $100 for a new key.
How long does it take to copy a broken car key?
The time it takes to copy a broken car key will depend on the locksmith or key maker that you choose. On average, you can expect the process to take between 30 minutes to an hour.
Spare Key Production
It’s always a good idea to have a spare key on hand in case of emergencies. Here are some tips on how to produce a spare key:
- Use a key duplication service: Many hardware stores offer key duplication services. Simply bring your existing key to the store and they will create a duplicate.
- Contact an automotive locksmith: An automotive locksmith can create a duplicate key for you on the spot.
- Contact your dealership: If you have a newer car, you can contact your dealership to order a new key. This process may take longer and be more expensive than other options.
If you need a new key for your car, you may be wondering what a key maker is and what they do. A key maker is a professional who specializes in creating keys for various locks, including car locks. They have the tools and expertise necessary to create a new key for you quickly and efficiently.
Need a Key Maker? Click Here.
How to Avoid Car Lockouts?
Car lockouts can be a frustrating and time-consuming experience.
Here are some tips on how to avoid car lockouts:
- Always carry a spare key: Keep a spare key with you at all times, whether it’s in your wallet, purse, or on a keychain. This way, if you accidentally lock your keys in the car, you’ll have a backup.
- Use a remote starter: A remote starter allows you to start your car without actually being inside it. This can be helpful if you accidentally lock your keys in the car.
- Install a keyless entry system: A keyless entry system allows you to enter your car without using a key. Instead, you enter a code or use a remote to unlock the doors. This can be a helpful way to avoid car lockouts.
- Develop a routine: Make a habit of always checking to make sure you have your keys with you before locking the car door. This can help prevent you from accidentally locking your keys in the car.
Can a locksmith make a new key without the original?
Yes, a locksmith can create a new key without the original by using specialized tools and techniques.
How long does it take to remove a broken key from a lock?
The time it takes to remove a broken key from a lock will depend on the method used and the complexity of the lock. On average, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour.
How do I find a reliable automotive locksmith?
Look for a locksmith with good reviews and ratings, and make sure they are licensed and insured. You can also ask for recommendations from friends and family.
People Also Ask
- What should I do if I accidentally lock my keys in the car?
- Can I program a keyless entry remote myself?
- How often should I replace my car keys?
- What should I do if my car key breaks off in the ignition?
If you accidentally lock your keys in the car, try not to panic. You can call an automotive locksmith to help you get back into your car. Some locksmiths even offer emergency services and can come to your location to assist you.
Programming a keyless entry remote can be done yourself, but it will depend on the make and model of your car. Some car manufacturers provide instructions on how to program the remote, while others may require you to take it to a dealership or automotive locksmith for programming.
The lifespan of a car key will depend on the type of key and the frequency of use. If your key is showing signs of wear and tear, such as difficulty turning in the lock, it may be time to replace it.
If your car key breaks off in the ignition, try not to panic. You can try to remove the broken key using the methods outlined earlier in this article. If you’re unable to remove the key yourself, call an automotive locksmith to assist you.
A broken car key can be a frustrating experience, but there are several ways to remove a broken key from a lock. It’s also important to have a spare key on hand to avoid the inconvenience of a car lockout. If you need a new key, consider using a key duplication service or contacting an automotive locksmith. Remember to take care of your car keys and replace them when necessary to avoid potential issues.